Connect with us

News

Nigerian President says ‘massive education’ of youth will help end kidnappings

Published

on

Nigeria’s president said Tuesday that his government will embark on “massive education” of youth as a way to tackle the increasing kidnappings for ransom now threatening the capital city along with the rest of the country’s conflict-hit north.

President Bola Tinubu won last year’s election after promising to rid the West African nation of its security crisis. However, deadly attacks particularly in the north have persisted, with the capital of Abuja recording a spike in abductions along major roads and in homes in recent weeks.

Tinubu condemned the abductions as “disturbing, ungodly and sinister” and touted education as “the antidote to the troubles agitating the nation,” according to a statement from presidential spokesman Ajuri Ngelale.

“There is no weapon against poverty that is as potent as learning,” the statement said. “Security agencies are acting with dispatch to immediately address the current challenge (while) all required resources, policies and plans will be rolled out soon for the massive education of Nigerian youths.”

Nigeria’s security forces already are battling jihadi rebels in the northeast in addition to armed groups that often carry out mass killings and abductions in remote communities across the northwest and central regions.

Now residents on the outskirts of the capital are beginning to relocate amid a surge in abductions for ransom suspected of being carried out by gunmen from volatile neighboring states.

Analysts said Tinubu has not done much to address the security crisis.

“Nigeria is drifting towards a failing state (with) non-state armed groups challenging the state authority,” said Oluwole Ojewale, a West and Central Africa researcher with the Africa-focused Institute for Security Studies.

Although Tinubu had promised that his government will “mobilize the totality” of Nigeria’s assets to protect citizens, there has been “no tangible improvement in (the) security situation yet,” Ojewale said.

Texas Guardian News

News

House Republicans vote to hold Garland in contempt over Biden interview audio

Published

on

House Republicans on Wednesday afternoon passed a resolution to hold Attorney General Merrick Garland in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over audio of President Joe Biden’s interview with special counsel Robert Hur on his handling of classified documents.

The final vote was 216 to 207. Rep. David Joyce of Ohio was the only Republican who voted against the contempt resolution.

Speaker Mike Johnson called the outcome “a significant step in maintaining the integrity of our oversight processes and responsibilities.”

“It is up to Congress – not the Executive Branch – to determine what materials it needs to conduct its own investigations, and there are consequences for refusing to comply with lawful Congressional subpoenas,” Johnson said in a statement.

MORE: Biden asserts executive privilege over audio of interview with special counsel Hur

Garland, in response, said it was “deeply disappointing that this House of Representatives has turned a serious congressional authority into a partisan weapon.”

“Today’s vote disregards the constitutional separation of powers, the Justice Department’s need to protect its investigations, and the substantial amount of information we have provided to the Committees,” Garland said in a statement. “I will always stand up for this Department, its employees, and its vital mission to defend our democracy.”

Texas Guardian News
Continue Reading

News

Answers demanded after Nigeria’s disappointing 2026 FIFA World Cup outing

Published

on

Nigeria’s sports ministry has demanded an explanation for the country’s poor 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, labelling it “unacceptable” after a 2-1 defeat by Benin left the Super Eagles winless from their opening four games.

Following draws with Lesotho, Zimbabwe and South Africa, Monday’s result means Nigeria sit fifth in Group C with three points from a possible 12.

Only the group winners are guaranteed a place at the World Cup finals, which will be jointly hosted by the USA, Canada, and Mexico.

“Our supporters are passionate and devoted,” senator John Owan Enoh, minister of sports development, said in a statement.

“They deserve an explanation for why our national team has not been performing to the expected standards since after the last Africa Cup of Nations.

“The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) must provide a comprehensive technical report explaining the reasons behind this poor showing and give cause why there mustn’t be consequences.

“The recent results are unacceptable.”

Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, losing on away goals to Ghana in the play-offs, but did reach the final of this year’s Nations Cup under former boss Jose Peseiro, losing to hosts Ivory Coast.

Finidi George was appointed as Peseiro’s replacement in April but failed to lift the team’s performances against South Africa and Benin.

The Super Eagles have failed to win any of their past seven World Cup qualifiers dating back to November 2021 – a time when Gernot Rohr, now coach of Benin, was in charge.

The game against Benin, which was played in neutral Ivory Coast, got off to an inauspicious start for Nigeria when the the wrong national anthem was played.

Two weeks ago, President Bola Tinubu made a controversial decision to revert to the nation’s former anthem, but organisers in Abidjan clearly missed the memo.

The NFF expressed its displeasure at the mistake and threatened not to take the field for the second period until the correct anthem was played.

Raphael Onyedika had put the Super Eagles ahead after 27 minutes but goals from Jodel Dossou and Steve Mounie gave Benin the advantage at the break.

Having returned to Nigeria on Tuesday, the team put out a statement on social media, admitting they were “unhappy about the way the two games panned out” and promising to “fight hard till the end” of the qualifying campaign.

One factor in the squad’s underperformance could be the absence of star striker Victor Osimhen, who has missed all four Group C games so far with injury.

Yet, even without the reigning African Footballer of the Year, the Nigeria squad boasts enough attacking talent to have found the net more than four times in as many outings.

African World Cup qualifiers are set to resume in March next year, with 2025 Nations Cup qualifiers scheduled to be held in September, October and November.

Texas Guardian News
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Oprah Winfrey rushed to hospital as longtime friend Gayle King reveals details live on air

Published

on

Oprah Winfrey has been hospitalized due to a severe stomach virus, as revealed by her close friend Gayle King. On June 11, Oprah , 70, was noticeably absent from a scheduled appearance on CBS Mornings, leaving many fans concerned.

During the segment, Gayle , a longtime friend and CBS anchor, disclosed that Oprah was unable to attend due to a “serious” stomach bug.

“She had some kind of stomach thing – stomach flu – stuff was coming out of both ends,” Gayle candidly explained. “I won’t get too graphic. Needless to say, she ended up in the hospital, dehydration, had to get an IV. It was a very serious thing.”

Gayle reassured viewers that Oprah would recover from the virus but emphasized that she needed time to rest. “She will be okay. I hope she’s not mad at me for sharing that detail,” she added with a hint of concern. “But I wanted to make it clear that it mattered to her and that it really bothered her that she couldn’t be here for you today.”

In a statement a spokesperson confirmed that Oprah is “recovering” following the stomach virus and had received an IV for dehydration upon her doctor’s recommendation. “She is resting and feeling better every day,” the spokesperson assured.

The official Instagram account for Oprah Daily also acknowledged Gayle’s heartfelt announcement. “Oprah was scheduled to go on CBS Mornings today to announce her latest Oprah’s Book Club selection.

When she came down with a stomach virus over the weekend, Gayle – being the best friend she is – offered to make the announcement for her,” the post read. “We are happy to share that after receiving an IV due to dehydration at the recommendation of her doctor, Oprah is feeling much better. We wish her a speedy recovery.”

Despite her hospitalization, Oprah’s dedication to her work remained steadfast. She was set to appear on CBS Mornings to unveil her latest book club pick, Familiaris by David Wroblewski. Taking to social media, Oprah promoted the book, showcasing her enduring commitment to her audience. “

Summer is here and I love to settle in with a big book that takes me through the season,” she wrote on Instagram. “So today I’m thrilled to announce that my next Oprah’s Book Club selection is Familiaris by David Wroblewski!”

Oprah’s health scare comes on the heels of her remarkable body transformation. Known for her public battle with weight, Oprah has recently lauded weight loss medications like Ozempic. In December, she described weight loss drugs as a “maintenance tool” to support new, healthy habits.

In May, she reflected on her role in promoting diet culture. During a live event broadcast on YouTube in collaboration with WeightWatchers, Oprah acknowledged, “I have been a steadfast participant in this diet culture.

Texas Guardian News
Continue Reading

Trending